Plus Heal|Site Info
Page
of 3

Mana Regen - How much is too much?

23 replies
347 posts
Admins
Moderators
I'm curious how the community goes about balancing their mana regen needs. We can all easily add more or remove some off with gems, reforging, maybe switching out a trinket... how do you balance it yourself?

So, is there such a thing as too much? How do you go about balancing it? Do you go out and reforge between fights for different regen needs or base your regen needs off the toughest mana sucking encounter in the tier?

(This isn't a "Well #,### spirit and #,### intellect should be enough regen" question... it's more open ended than that) :sick:
There is no such thing as too much regen, always go for more!
9 votes
13.6%
I like to have a little extra regen built in, just in case.
37 votes
56.1%
If I end a fight with 1 mana I am perfectly itemized for that fight!
20 votes
30.3%
Number of voters: 66
Auracen - Druid
Twitter
Google+
Posted Jul 20, 11 · OP
9 posts
Untagged users
I went for option 2 (a little extra built in), but I lean heavily towards option 3 (1 mana left, perfect itemization!). I don't want to end a fight with gobs of mana, but I do like having a bit of leeway in case something goes wrong and I need to spam Regrowth for a little while to help get things on track. Perhaps 5ish% mana left would be more accurate, enough for just one more Regrowth, just in case!

I think spirit is fourth on my list of stat priorities, and I'll often trade it for haste, int, or mastery if I can. If I struggle with mana issues on a new fight, I'd rather look at maximizing my Innervate and ToL usage, lifebloom uptime, and Bloom (t11 4pc) uptime before figuring out how to add Spirit to my gear.

Right now I'm hovering at 1900 spirit. I was worried, at first, when my spirit dropped that low, but I've been doing ok with it. Thank goodness for Innervate! XD
Tia mi aven Moridin isainde vadin.
Posted Jul 20, 11
394 posts
Untagged users
I went with #3 although the truth is a little more nuanced. My concentration potion is my extra buffer... I don't like to be itemized such that every attempt requires me to use one, but if I had to burn a bit of mana covering a mistake, there's 20k I can reclaim.
Posted Jul 20, 11
886 posts
Untagged users
This really depends on the fight and on what you're doing. I wouldn't choose the same on something we're struggling on as a raid vs. something that's on farm.
Posted Jul 20, 11
263 posts
Admins
Moderators
I try to optimize myself for my own personal mana cooldowns and potions AND taking into account Mana Tides, and 4 mana Hymns. I'd say it's a little dangerously low right now, but still manageable. If 1 or 2 DPS players die, then I'm just about Heal bombing the last 3 percent of the fight and praying they kill it.
Posted Jul 20, 11
260 posts
Untagged users
I seem to be outvoted, but I go for as much regen as possible. I'll pick up more throughput if needed, but the choice is generally between a sub-optimal stat and more regen. Usually. Firelands is different.

The reason is simple and two-fold. One, you never know when things will go sideways, and having more mana usually means you are better able to respond to this. Two, the demands of the next tier are unknown, so I set myself up to be prepared for that.

I also don't care at all about healer parses, so that helps.
Posted Jul 20, 11
347 posts
Admins
Moderators
Interesting! I wouldn't have guessed you would have picked that Van, but I can see your points :sick:
Auracen - Druid
Twitter
Google+
Posted Jul 20, 11 · OP
260 posts
Untagged users
Hey, I'm not a meter guy. I'm a boss-killin' guy. No one will ever know my name from World of Logs :sick:
Posted Jul 20, 11
13 posts
Untagged users
I've always tried to go for a balance of throughput and regen. I hate not having the mana to support my healing, but then I hate not seeing the big green numbers that flash by on my screen, and making sure my assigned tank stays alive.
sign.gif
Posted Jul 20, 11
886 posts
Untagged users
Lol I turn off all green numbers scrolling. Lags me out like you wouldn't believe. My comp just can't take it :sick:
Posted Jul 21, 11
Page
of 3
Announcement of